Tears are not enought

  • Posted: 3/25/2014
    • Length: 04:13
    • Plays: ???
Synopsis >

By the end of 2004, we were becoming quite successful with the business. We had a few bumps along the road during the first year, but everything seemed to be starting to come around very well. We were beginning to make a modest profit. We were starting to fit into the niche in the cleaning industry that we were seeking. In early 2005, we felt we needed a more aggressive and targeted approach in the janitorial market. This meant we needed tighter control over the contracts we had, plus taking on bigger projects and hiring more staff. In March 2005, that opportunity had emerged. Tenders were called for the Bridgewater Provincial Building and Court House as well as the Digby Provincial Building and Court House. We were confident if we could land one of these contracts, they would give us the financial stability our company needed. Both contracts were for three-year terms. This would provide us a more stable income with more room to expand. We were awarded the contracts for the Bridgewater and Digby Provincial Buildings and Court House; this is when a good part of the troubles began. Several e-mails surfaced, addressed to the provincial Department of Transportation. One was from provincial Attorney Services, (Crown Prosecutor Lloyd Tancock); provincial Correction Services; and provincial Community Services (Robert Deveoue). The e-mails stated that these provincial services weren’t “comfortable” having our Operations Manager, Jeff Fraser, overseeing the Provincial Building contract, which was his primary job. Although, Jeff had a past record and history with these people, it was some 15 years prior. We had obtained the necessary Bonding & Insurance, but, this did not satisfy the contracts. These were personalities. We went above and beyond our Contract to accommodate these complaints and not cause trouble. We had 13 Employee's at this point, and didn't want to jeopardize their livelihoods. However, for some unknown reason, these people made it their mission to create upset by lies and innuendo, and destroy everything we had worked for. Rumours and gossip were deliberately spread within the circle of people who were our contracts. In fact, The Bridgewater Provincial Building Manager, Paul Woodworth, deliberately interfered with a Contract we had just started in the next building. We tried to work around this. Our Operations Manager, Jeff, had complained to the head of the provincial Department of Transportation, Hubert Ryan, without result. In fact, what the Department ultimately did was remove us in June of 2005! At this point, we were three Months into the Contract, invested nearly $30,000.00 into the Buildings and haven't received any payment for our services. Joel E. Pink Tony Anderson and Jeff Fraser had sought out many lawyers by the end of February, 2007. A trusted friend, who has been helping us throughout this ordeal, recommended we go to a lawyer who seemed to be a man with integrity and respect for justice. Anderson and Fraser made contact with Pink-Garson’s office in late February, 2007. Joel Pink’s secretary had informed us that a $350 consultation fee had to be paid in advance at the time of the appointment, which was set for March 20, 2007, at 1:00 PM. By this point, Anderson and Fraser had developed some reservations and deep concerns with lawyers. After dealing with so many unprofessional lawyers, they simply wanted to know beforehand with whom a prospective lawyer was associated. When they arrived for the appointment with Mr. Pink they asked his secretary if they could ask Mr. Pink a simple question before wasting both Mr. Pink’s time and their time. She would not let them ask him even one question without paying her the $350.00 consultation fee. They paid. They had researched Mr. Pink, and knew he was the vice-chair of the Nova Scotia Barristers Society. They wanted to know if he was a Tory supporter or not. Tony Anderson asked him the question point blank during the interview and he replied “NO!” Mr. Pink also couldn’t understand why Mr. Star wouldn’t meet with only Jeff Fraser, and not both Anderson and Fraser. He said he would inquire as to why. The meeting proceeded quite well. However, after discussing the case, Mr. Pink said, “I am a man of honour and integrity” and that his word “meant something”. Anderson and Fraser indicated that there was an upcoming court date scheduled in Bridgewater Provincial Court for Jeff Fraser. Mr. Pink indicated that he had helped the Bridgewater Crown Prosecutor’s son in the past and that he was a good friend of Crown Prosecutor Lloyd Tancock. Mr. Pink said he felt it would not be a problem to get an extension of time for Jeff Fraser’s court appearance. Mr. Pink made one telephone call and Crown Prosecutor Lloyd Tancock just so happened to immediately pick up the other end! Mr. Pink had shown, although Anderson and Fraser still held reservations, that he was well respected and known. They wondered if perhaps he could be the lawyer they had been searching for. Things did improve, as Mr. Pink promised, and he seemed able to manage the bewildering lists of charges and court dates for at least two months after that first meeting on March 10th. 2007. Also, he told Anderson and Fraser that he had made contact with Lawyer Star and that they had decided to work together as a team on Jeff Fraser’s case. Mr. Pink required a large retainer. Ten thousand dollars! Jeff Fraser was working for a courier company at the time. Mr. Fraser’s employer, who seemed to have a great interest in the case, secured the retainer with Mr. Pink. At least, this is what Anderson and Fraser were told. Mr. Fraser’s co-worker informed him that Mr. Pink was in the process of negotiations with Lloyd Tancock, Crown Prosecutor, on the charges against Jeff Fraser. This was completely against Mr. Fraser’s best interests! He was shocked! Jeff Fraser immediately spoke to Mr. Pink, who acknowledged that he was indeed trying to negotiate a plea bargain with the prosecution. Jeff Fraser did not wish to negotiate nor did he want Mr. Pink to negotiate a plea bargain of any kind whatsoever on any of the trumped-up charges with the Crown Prosecutor! Jeff Fraser was then left with no choice but to dismiss Mr. Pink from the case, as he was not acting in his client’s best interests. Mr. Pink was not used to being fired and he asked to be reconsidered. Request denied! Time was already getting short, so Jeff Fraser could not have his so-called lawyer conspiring against his best interests. Fraser needed a lawyer who actually did what he promised and lived up to his word! On June 17, 2007, when Mr. Fraser, accompanied by Mr. Anderson, went to the Bridgewater Provincial Court for the trial, Mr. Anderson observed that both Lawyer Ferrier and Lawyer Pink were present in court that day. When they saw Mr. Anderson, both men looked very sheepish and could not meet his eyes. When Lawyer Pink breezed into the courtroom and realized that Mr. Anderson was there, he seemed startled and turned as if to leave but found his way to the door blocked by other attendees. He then turned back, sat down abruptly, and stared fixedly at the floor between his. At no point did he meet Anderson’s or Fraser’s eyes, nor did he acknowledge their presence in any way.

TV GUIDE Users' Most Popular